The Spanish Society for natural language processing (SEPLN) in collaboration with PERTE Nueva Economía de la Lengua announces the 6th Edition of the best new research line in Natural Language Processing (NLP). The call aims to reward the best Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis developed during the current academic year by undergraduate or master’s students enrolled in any national university.
This award is intended to make visible the area of research related to the PLN
among Bachelor’s or Master’s students and encourage the development of works that analyze,
use, propose or develop new methods, techniques or applications related to
language technology, including, but not limited to:
- Mathematical and psycholinguistic language models.
- Lexicography and computational terminology.
- Corpus linguistics.
- Development of linguistic resources and tools.
- Morphological and syntactic analysis.
- Semantics, pragmatics and discourse.
- Resolution of lexical-semantic ambiguity.
- Generation of monolingual and multilingual text.
- Automatic translation.
- Speech processing.
- Dialogue systems / conversational assistants.
- Indexing and recovery of multimedia information.
- Retrieval and extraction of monolingual and multilingual information.
- Question answering systems.
- Evaluation of NLP systems.
- Automatic analysis of textual content.
- Opinion analysis and argumentation mining.
- Plagiarism detection.
- Processing of denial and speculation.
- Text mining in social networks.
- Automatic summary of text.
- Text simplification.
- Knowledge and common sense.
- NLP in the biomedical field.
- Generation of didactic resources based on NLP.
- NLP for languages with limited resources.
- NLP industrial applications.
- Ethical aspects of the NLP.
- Interpretability and analysis of models for NLP.
All Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis from any university within national scope that are being developed during the academic year 2022-2023 will be eligible for these awards.
Students interested in participating must send a summary of their work in the format of
article where the developed TFG or TFM is described, the article will be sent to
through the following form.
The article must include:
- Thesis’ title;
- Motivation and justification of the proposed work;
- Objectives and contributions of the work;
- Relationship with the NLP area;
- Methodology and experimentation;
- Results and conclusions;
Papers submitted must follow the following style:
- Use PDF format.
- Written in Spanish or English.
- Its maximum length will be 4 pages, plus an extra page of references if it were necessary.
- Documents should not include a header or footer, nor should they include the name of the author (only one author per thesis).
- The style guide of the SEPLN journal must be followed through its templates in LaTeX or Word format.
El plazo de presentación de solicitudes comienza el 13 de junio de 2023 y finalizará el 26
de junio de 2023.
The period for the applications’ submission begins on June 13th, 2023 and ends on June 26th, 2023.
The prize for the best thesis will consist of an accredited diploma, the financing of the registration, travel and accommodation of the participants to attend the Doctoral Symposium organised by the network to be held on 28 September 2023 within the framework of the annual congress of the SEPLN (http://sepln2023.sepln.org/), where the author of the winning paper will give a brief 15-minute presentation to make it known to the entire PLN research community.
The winning paper, the name of its author and the university where it has been developed will be disseminated through social networks and the SEPLN congress website. The funding of the prize is thanks to the collaboration of PERTE New Economics of Language.
For the evaluation of the submitted papers, a panel of experts in the area of PLN research will be set up, consisting of members of the SEPLN advisory board.
In awarding the prize, the panel of experts will take into account the following criteria:
- Originality and novelty of the thesis.
- Academic quality.
- Degree of difficulty of the topic addressed.
- Rigour in the methodology used for its preparation.
- Results and conclusions obtained.
Notification of the winning paper will be made by email to the person concerned and will also be announced on the SEPLN 2023 congress website.
María Teresa Martín Valdivia. Universidad de Jaén (España).
Pilar López Úbeda. HT médica (España).
Flor Miriam Plaza del Arco. Bocconi University (Milan, Italy).
The 6th Edition of the Prize for the Best New Line of Research in Natural Language Processing has honored María Estrella Vallecillo Rodríguez from the University of Jaén for her outstanding work titled “Detección de la ofensividad en redes sociales mediante lenguaje natural e información contextual“.